October 19, 2009

A little lemon twist with your Marketing-tini?


So… why does the world need another marketer creating another blog on his or her view of marketing? Well, maybe it doesn’t – but, I’m adding one anyways! I believe that there is always a new way to look at things, a different way… and, in my experience, every extra little bit of information you get on a (marketing) problem gives you one little extra glimpse at a potential solution. With this in mind – I’d like to add a glimpse with a “lemon twist”, which is the best way to have a martini, so perhaps a great way to have a new insight!

For this introductory post, I simply want to share a quick thought on the power of marketing… For me, there is no doubt that marketing and branding have the ability to shape the world around us. The power of our words, of our actions – and ultimately of the delivery on our promises – can change the world. I don’t mean to sound self-righteous but I genuinely believe that as marketers, brand managers, public relations managers, and event managers – essentially all of us who have an impact on society through our communications – influence the way people act and react.

This fine balance of art and science called marketing is not just about selling the widget and hitting the bottom line; it’s about far more. It’s about truly delivering value to the person purchasing the widget – and ideally delivering value to that person’s family, community, and maybe the world?

Future posts will look at campaigns in this light and share ideas and insights from other great marketers, bloggers, brand managers, authors, businesses and many others who influence and motivate me (and some who don’t).


When life gives you lemon, make lemonade!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Judi, I stumbled across your blog after stumbling upon you on twitter! A blog is a great way to build your own reputation online and ultimately improve your personal brand. In to days world a regular resume just wont cut it and a blog is ultimately an extended resume! I definitely am looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the newest and latest trends/campaigns in the marketing world and am excited to follow you on this journey.

    I agree with you 100% when you discussed the power of marketing on everyone's life. It's such a simple thing but the impact it can have on someone is remarkable! An example of the power marketing can have is viewable right now on twitter - In the matter of a few simple days over $70,000 was raised in hopes of finding a cure for cancer and that number is increasing every second.

    Now, don't get me wrong I realize the power marketing has not always been used for "the greater good". Sometimes marketers have abused their power and convinced people to do things that were in fact not to ethical or right - Ie. buy a pinto because they're SAFE. BUT, that's not what the power of marketing should be used for or is intended to be used for. It should be used to make people better people or simply a bit happier with themselves and enjoy the little things in life.

    Well, I'm now going to end my rant because this isn't about me blabbing on and on - its about you and your new blog! Congrats & Best of luck..I look forward to reading what you have to say and am sure you'll do a great job!

    ReplyDelete