December 20, 2009

A Lemon's Manifesto


As the year draws to a close, I wanted to share some thoughts for a future we can all believe in... The following words are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of anyone else - but, my guess is that we're not all that different.

I believe…

I believe we borrow the earth from our children; we do not inherit it from our ancestors. As such, I believe that our role – in our short time here – is to make the world a better place.

I believe in the ripple effect. If we focus positive energy in our own lives, neighbourhoods, social circles, and workplaces, that energy will ripple outwards. I also believe in the butterfly effect – the theory that a single flap of a butterfly’s wings can impact the winds worlds away. Small positive actions every day can create large-scale positive changes in the world – tomorrow, and for years to come.

I believe that everyone is accountable for their actions. There are enough guideposts in this world, whether in public, in one’s mind and heart, or in one’s immediate environment, to separate the good from the bad.

I believe that right and wrong are subjective – that good and bad are not. Good and bad are guided by morals. Being good means not hurting others – physically, emotionally or mentally. And no excuse can be made for not understanding when you are hurt, or when you hurt someone. Right or wrong are directed by societal law, and therefore change based on history, culture, religion or geographic location. This means that, depending on your timestamp in history and your location in the world, right and wrong can change… but, good and bad never will.

I believe that everyone is a role model. I believe that celebrities - musicians, singers, actors, athletes, politicians, and everyone in the public light ARE role models! Children (those we borrow the earth from) are watching, learning, growing and repeating. Role models who choose bad actions, independent of their inner emotions towards those actions (such as guilt) are demonstrating that bad is OK. And, it is not. Children cannot see what you feel, and rarely understand consequence. They are seeing the stardom and fame upon you. Act (don’t react) accordingly.

I believe that those who shape the environment influence perceptions and paradigms. If you are in marketing, in public relations, in communications, in any position where your output is visible – you have a role to play. Every news report, every billboard, every message influences people. Create a better world.

I believe that justice, in terms of protecting the good from the bad, trumps mercy – as hard as that may be. And, I do not claim any ability to make this happen, though I’ve never been in the position to choose.

I believe that all human beings are created equal – with 78 organs, 206 bones, flesh, blood, a heart and a brain. I believe that perceptions are shaped by others, and that it is often within these perceptions that hatred is born. I believe that hatred is the root of bad.

I believe that sometimes, symbols are created to cover up “bad”, but that the symbols unto themselves are “good”. And, I believe that sometimes, humanity needs these symbols. I believe that if humanity – unanimously – finds strength in these symbols, and what they stand for, the world can be a better place, and the “bad” will be removed.

Finally, I believe that we are each, individually responsible for a better planet, a better world and a better future for our children.

What do you believe?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...

No comments:

Post a Comment